The Legion of Mary is the largest apostolic organization of lay people in the Catholic Church with well over 3 million active members in most every country of the world. It has been active in the United States since 1931, has known continuous Papal approval, and was endorsed by the Second Vatican Council.
The Legion of Mary makes it members better Catholics, first of all, through a balanced program of prayer and service in union with the Holy Spirit as he operates through Mary, Mother of the Church. For works performed please see last section below.
The simplest unit is called a “praesidium”. At St. Joachim, we have 4 adult praesidia whose members are 18 years old and above (3 English and 1 Spanish) and 1 praesidium for Junior members (17 years old and below).
The Legion of Mary performs the following works:
- Do door to door evangelization and crowd apostolate.
- Pilgrim Virgin visitations (block rosary and prayers in Parishioners’ homes)
- Give holy communion to parishioners who are home bound or shut-ins or in the convalescent hospitals and care homes.
- Do enthronement of the Sacred Heart in parishioners’ homes.
- Some members are catechists, lectors, eucharistic ministers and acolytes.
Each praesidium meet once a week so there are 5 separate weekly meetings:
- One on Monday at 7:00 P.M.,
- Two on Tuesday at 7:00 P.M.,
- One on Saturday at 9:30 A.M. and the
- Juniors on Sunday at 10:30 A.M.
- Curia President (So. Alameda County): Flor Herce; (510)887-8106; email@example.com
- Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Praesidium: Nati Rabinovitz; (510) 795-6058
- Mother of Our Savior Praesidium: Georgie Dwonch, email firstname.lastname@example.org, cell (510) 506-5364 & home (510) 629-3036
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Praesidium: Norma Evans; (650) 892-2882
- Nuestra Senora del Perpetuo Socorro Praesidium: Maria Garcia; (510) 781-0639
- Mirror of Justice, Junior Praesidium: Teresa Gutierrez; (510) 589-5040